Animal transport

Dear reader,

The new Food Safety Authority (nVWA) now performs stricter controls on animal transport. Not only the transport of farm animals, but also the transport of animals like birds, reptiles, rodents and other (small) pets. On this page you will fund rules about animal transport.

In general

  • Animals need to be transported in boxes that are not temperature sensitive;
  • Cats need to be transported in sound boxes or benches;
  • Animals need to be transported in dark boxes;
  • Don’t put (too) many animals in one box/cage;
  • It’s important that there is enough space for the animals in the transportation box.


Obligations and rules
The rules of animal transport is at European level. The Transportation regulation applies to all vertebrate animals who are transported to an economic interest. This also applies if you want to sell such vertebrates on a stock exchange or reptile event.
There are administrative rules regarding:

  • How the animals should be treated;
  • When animals are not fit to be transported;
  • How transport should be arranged;
  • What kind of itinerary should be used.


Carrier Licence
If the transport of live animals is an economic activity, almost all carriers need a carrier license. This depends on the type of transport the carrier will carry up. The differences in the type of license are reflected in the technical regulations. In a Type II permit, more extensive demands on the vehicle will be done and an inspection will be done by the Department of Road Transport (RDW). The following situations are possible:

  • The carrier transports that never carries more than 65 km, there is no license required;
  • The carrier transports only carries out those shorter than 8 hours (including loading and unloading of the animals): a Type I permit is required;
  • The carrier also performs transports for longer than 8 hours: Type II permit is required.
  • A carrier may only have one license. With a Type II permit also transport less than 8 hours may be performed. Besides a carrier, may only have a license in one state of the European Union (EU).


Health certificate
For trade and transport of animals and animal products within the EU you need a health certificate. When animals are transported from one country to another, these animals must be accompanied by a certificate signed by a qualified veterinarian.

More info
For more information about the law or regulations or to request a transport permit, please check the website here  or contact the nVWA with number: +310882233333 of for Holland 0900-0388. 



We have 169 guests and no members online